We hold the safety of students and staff with the utmost importance and would like to provide you with additional details about novel coronavirus.
For information about the novel coronavirus provided by the Australian Government Department of Health, please read here.
While we do not wish to disrupt families or cause unnecessary alarm, the College will adopt a similar approach to many other schools who may have students who have visited the affected areas in China, particularly the Hubei Province. Please note the following:
What you need to know
Health authorities identified cases of novel coronavirus in Australia in January 2020.
The novel coronavirus originated in Wuhan, Hubei Province, China. The majority of cases are there. There is evidence of person-to-person spread, particularly in Hubei Province.
Health authorities have also identified novel coronavirus cases in several other countries.
Currently in Australia, people most at risk of contracting the virus are people who have:
- Been in mainland China recently.
- Been in close contact with someone who has a confirmed case of coronavirus.
You need to isolate yourself in the following circumstances:
- If you have travelled from Hubei Province within the past 30 days, you must isolate yourself until 14 days have elapsed after leaving Hubei Province and show no symptoms.
- If you have left, or transited through, mainland China on or after 1 February 2020 you must isolate yourself until 14 days after leaving China.
- If you have been in close contact with a confirmed case of novel coronavirus, you must isolate yourself for 14 days after your last contact with the confirmed case.
You do not need to self-isolate in the following circumstances:
- If you have travelled from other provinces in mainland China prior to 1 February 2020 AND have not been in Hubei Province.
- If you have only travelled in Hong Kong, Macau and Taiwan.
- If someone left the city of Wuhan in Hubei Province on 22 January 2020, they would need to isolate themselves until 6 February 2020.
- If someone left Shanghai on 28 January 2020 and came to Australia via another country on 3 February 2020, they would not need to isolate themselves (as they left mainland China before 1 February 2020).
- If someone left Beijing on 3 February 2020 and arrived in Australia on the same day, they would need to isolate themselves for 14 days until 17 February 2020.
Should you have any concerns about this matter, please do not hesitate to contact me via email firstname.lastname@example.org or phone 03 61082560.
We pray for those who have been affected by this virus.